Over the past few months, I have made it a goal to get down and dirty with Go. I have been getting more and more involved with Kubernetes lately and feel like its time that I pick up its native language. For the last 6 years, I’ve had Python as my go-to language with Ruby sneaking in when the time is right. I really enjoy Python and feel extremely productive in it. In order to get to some level of comfort with Go I knew that I would have to take a multi-faceted approach to my learning.
Obviously, the first thing I did was just get it installed on my laptop. Being a Mac and Homebrew user, I simply ran: brew install golang. So now I had the toolchain installed and could compile/run things on my laptop. Unfortunately ‘Hello World’ was not going to get me to properly port my existing programming skills into using Go as a primary/native language. I knew enough about Go to know that I need to understand how and why it was built. Additionally, I had been in interpreted language land my whole life (Perl->Python->Ruby) so was taking another leap outside of just changing dialects. At this point I took a step back from just poking at source code to properly study up on the language.
I’ve had a Safari Books Online subscription for quite some time and have leveraged it heavily when learning new technologies. This case was no different. I picked up Programming in Go: Creating Applications for the 21st Century. I found this book to be at the right level for me, existing programming experience but new to Go. I also found that there was enough context as to how to do things the Go way such that I wouldn’t just be writing a bunch of Python in a different language. After a few flights browsing the concepts, I started to read it front to back. At the same time, I found a resource specific to my task at hand, Go for Python Programmers. This was a good way to see the code I was accustomed to writing and how I might write it differently in Go. As I continued reading and studying up, I made sure to pay particular attention when looking at Go code in the wild. The ask of myself was really to understand the code and the idioms, not just glance at it as pseudocode.
There were a few things that I needed some more clarification on after reading through my study materials. I was still confused about how packaging worked in practice. For clarification, my buddy and Go expert Evan Brown pointed me to the Go Build System repository. The thing that clicked for me here was the structure of having a repository of code that is related to each other, splitting out libraries into directories, then using the cmd directory in order to make the binaries that tied things together. This repo also has a great README that shows how they have organized their code. Thanks Go Build Team!
The next thing that I needed to hash out was how exactly I would use my Object Oriented penchant in Go. For this I decided to turn to Go by Example which had a wealth of simple example code for many of the concepts I was grappling with. Things started to click for me after looking at structs, methods, and interfaces again through a slightly different lens.
Sweet! So now I understood (more or less) how the thing worked but I hadn’t built anything with it. The next phase was figuring out how the rubber met the road and having a concrete task to accomplish with my new tool.
I didn’t have any projects off the top of my head that I could start attacking but remembered that a few moons ago I had signed up for StarFighters, a platform that promised to provide a capture the flag style game that you could code against. I looked back through their site and noticed that their first game, StockFighter, had been released. StockFighter provides a REST API that players can code against in order to manipulate a faux stock market. I didn’t know anything about the stock market but figured this would be as good a task as any to get started. I played through the first few levels by creating a few one off binaries. Then on the harder levels I started to break out my code, create libraries, workers and all kinds of other pieces software to help me complete the tasks that StockFighter was throwing at me. One huge help in getting me comfortable with creating this larger piece of software was that I had been using Pycharm with the Go plugin. This made code navigation, refactoring, testing and execution familiar.
Shit had gotten real. I was building a thing and feeling more comfortable with each level I played.
After my foray with StockFighter, I felt like I could use a different challenge. It turns out if you start asking around if people need some software built at Google, there will be plenty of people who want to take you up on the offer. The homie Preston was working on an IoT demonstration architecture and needed a widget that could ingest messages from PubSub and then store the data in BigTable. As he explained the project, I told him that it should take me no more than 4 hours to complete the task. I hadn’t use the Go SDKs at the time so I figured that would eat up most of my time. I sat down that afternoon and started the timer. This was the litmus test. I knew it. My brain knew it. My fingers knew it.
I made it happen in just under 5 hours which to me was a damn good effort as I knew that generally estimates are off by 2x. After doing a little cross-compiling magic, I was able to ship Preston a set of binaries for Mac, Linux and Windows that achieved his task.
I’m certainly not done with my journey but I’m happy to have had small successes that make me feel at home with Go.
One thought on “Porting my brain from Python to Go”
Kudos for this Inspiring experience to go-to GO blog.